There is no doubt that your Subaru Legacy requires the highest quality engine oil to achieve peak performance and longevity. Using the right oil will help to lubricate and shield your engine ensuring it runs smoothly and keeps it cool.
When choosing oil for your Subaru vehicle, there are a variety of options to choose from and it can be a bit confusing, especially for first-time vehicle owners.
In this article, we have put together a list of the best engine oil for Subaru Legacy so that you can have an easier time making a solid buying decision.
Best Engine Oil For Subaru Legacy
1. Valvoline MaxLife Engine Oil High Mileage Synthetic Blend 5W-30 – Runner Up
If you need an oil that will keep your engine running smoothly, Valvoline MaxLife Engine Oil High Mileage Synthetic Blend 5W-30 is a great option for you. This synthetic blend was specifically formulated with engines with 75,000 miles or more in mind.
This oil comes equipped with advanced additives which help to reduce friction and wear to restore your engine’s power and performance. Additionally, it comes with enhanced cleaning detergents to clear away sludge and deposits from your engine.
When choosing a high-mileage oil for your Subaru, it is essential that you pick one with the appropriate viscosity (thickness). Doing this will guarantee your engine receives the best protection ever. It’s important that you check your owner’s manual for recommended viscosity and service intervals.
2. Castrol GTX High Mileage Engine Oil Synthetic Blend 5W-30 – Runner Up
One thing for sure is that your engine deserves the finest lubrication it can get, which is why you should use high-quality synthetic engine oil like this one from Castrol. This high-quality motor oil has been designed specifically for vehicles with more than 75,000 miles on the odometer in mind.
It also has an advanced technology that uses less phosphorus than leading oils to help prevent catalytic converter and emission system failure, providing unsurpassed protection against sludge, wear, and oil burn-off compared to leading conventional oils. Not only that, but it boasts a long oil change interval for added peace of mind plus superior viscosity levels for optimal efficiency.
We are a huge fan of this oil and think it is definitely worth the investment. It is also considered to be a great choice for those who are on a tight budget yet looking for high-end motor oil.
3. Pennzoil High Mileage Engine Oil Conventional 10W-30 – High-quality Performance
Pennzoil’s High Mileage SAE 10W-30 is one of the top choices for high-mileage vehicles. It contains additives that prevent sludge buildup, clean old engines, stop small leaks and restore old valves.
This proprietary blend of seal-protecting ingredients helps your vehicle run more smoothly and longer, decreasing oil consumption and engine burnoff while improving performance.
Modern engines are designed to run on lightweight synthetic lubricants, but older vehicles benefit from heavier 10W-30 or 20W-50 formulations. These heavier oils offer greater protection against abrasion as well as oil breakdown.
4. STP Engine Oil High Mileage Conventional 5W-30
This is without a doubt one of the best engine oil you can find on the market for your Subaru Legacy. The STP Engine Oil is a high mileage engine oil designed to protect your engine against wear and tear, it also helps to keep it operating optimally and potentially saves repair expenses in the future.
This engine oil has a viscosity of 5W-30 and is suitable for use in both gas and diesel engines. It provides numerous advantages to your engine, such as improved lubrication, protection against sludge, and increased fuel economy.
The engine oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API) to meet ILSAC standards, making it safe and secure for your engine. It’s suitable for a range of vehicle types including those with turbochargers or direct injection systems.
When it comes to choosing the right engine oil for your Subaru Legacy, additive concentration should be taken into account. This is especially relevant if you plan to clean out your engine with high-mileage oil.
How to Change an Engine Oil
We can all agree that oil is a lubricant that keeps everything moving smoothly, reduces friction for greater power and fuel economy, dissipates heat to keep the engine cool, and even helps clean metal surfaces. That’s why changing your engine oil on a regular basis is one of the most essential maintenance tasks you can do for its long-term effectiveness.
Here are steps you can follow on how to change the engine yourself:
- You should start by parking your vehicle on a level surface and engaging the parking brake. If necessary, raise the front of the car with either a jack stand or ramp for easier access.
- We think it is safe for you to spread a plastic sheet across the floor so it’s simple to clean up an oil spill. Doing this makes cleanup less complex and will save you time if one does occur.
- Next, use a socket wrench to unscrew the oil drain plug. This is usually located in the front center of the engine; however, you can use your owner’s manual for the exact location of this particular plug.
- Now, place the drain pan beneath it. Your pan should be large enough to hold 4-5 quarts of oil.
- Use a funnel to pour oil from a container into the drain pan without it sticking together, creating an unpleasant mess.
- Finally, locate the oil filter under the hood and twist it off by hand or with an oil filter wrench. Make sure the old filter’s O-ring has come off too. Finally, it is wise to smear some new oil on its gasket so it seals securely.
There you go, we have compiled a list of the best engine oil for Subaru Legacy that you can find on the market for a reasonable price which is great for those on a tight budget yet looking for high-quality motor oil.