Is Engine Oil Poisonous? Everything You Need to Know!

Let’s not forget that, we should never put motor oil on our lips or swallow it. Just like gasoline or kerosene, engine oil is an amorphous hydrocarbon and should never be consumed by humans.

You can simply avoid this risk by properly disposing of motor oil at your local recycling center or auto repair shop. If not properly disposed of, the used oil could be released into the environment where it could pick up hazardous contaminants and become an air pollutant.

With that being said, in this article, I’m going to explain everything you need to know about engine oil and whether or not it is poisonous to us humans.

What is Engine Oil?

Is Engine Oil Poisonous

Engine oil is a specialized liquid that keeps an engine running smoothly and in the best condition possible. Apart from that, it helps prevent rust and corrosion within the engine.

Engine oils come in various types, which range from full synthetics to semi-synthetic and mineral oils. Motor oil plays a role in improving fuel economy, preventing breakdowns and overheating, as well as reduce engine wear.

Choosing the correct oil for your vehicle can be a bit confusing at times especially if you are just owning your first vehicle. To make it easy, you should follow your car manufacturer’s specifications and select an oil that is recommended by them just to be on the safe side.

Is Engine Oil Poisonous?

The short answer is yes, engine oil is poisonous and should be kept out of reach of children and animals. Also, when changing your oil make sure not to store it in a beverage container since someone may mistake it for a drink.

Learn More: Does Motor Oil Freeze

What Are the Symptoms of Ingesting Engine Oil?

Let’s start by saying that, motor oil is a hazardous substance and should always be kept out of children’s reach at all times. It also poses risks when inhaled or swallowed, so if you find yourself ingesting this fluid, you should take the time out to visit your local doctor right away.

Ingesting engine oil may cause symptoms such as coughing, vomiting, and choking. These negative reactions are known to be caused by the vapors surrounding the liquid hydrocarbon which can quickly move down your throat and into your airway or lungs.

Apart from that, this vapor can irritate the lungs and lead to chemical pneumonitis, a serious condition that leads to pneumonia. If this happens, someone should be evaluated and have their inflammation checked out with x-rays so it does not become a permanent issue.

What Should I Do If I Have Ingested Engine Oil?

Engine oil can do severe bodily harm to dogs and humans alike. Motor oil contains chemicals like detergents, anti-foam agents, and dispersants that pick up metal contaminants during the car’s running cycle and are highly toxic when consumed.

Used motor oil is especially hazardous if not handled carefully; if it’s a case where you are regularly using motor oil, make sure to wash your hands with soap and water and ensure that it is properly dried.

In general, you may want to protect your pets from oil as well and the best way to protect them from engine oil hazards is to teach them not to go near the garage or car, and make sure they always wear an appropriate collar and leash.